[Beowulf] Parallel Development Tools

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Oct 18 07:05:10 PDT 2007

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Tim Cutts wrote:

> The real killer advantages of FAI, for me, are the SSH server so I can
> monitor the install remotely, and the detailed logging.  Both of these
> are invaluable for diagnosing installation problems.

With kickstart, you can start a VNC connection, check out:

It's probably started at a later stage than FAI's sshd, but it's
useful nevertheless, although it shows only the installation progress
and doesn't give you a console; but you could bend it a bit to do that
as well, especially after the work is finished (in %post), as
described here:

If you want to start sshd/rshd/telnetd/etc. sooner, you could use the
%pre section to run scripts which could initialize network and then
get and run the daemon of your choice; the mechanism is not built-in,
but not so difficult to get to work either ;-)

[ Mind you, I'm not trying to say that kickstart is better than FAI. ]

Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868