[Beowulf] Parallel Development Tools

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Oct 17 08:20:26 PDT 2007

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007, Gerry Creager wrote:

> Quote...
> "Three things in life a man must do,
> Before his days are done.
> Write two lines of APL...
> And make the sucker run."
>
> OK, so it's not PL-I but APL was another interesting beast.  A friend had
> written an entire StarTrek game, including a 3d universe, in APL and we
> wasted cycles waiting for long jobs on the Amdahl 470v6 to complete that
> way...

Great little poem.  I didn't write tic-tac-toe -- zero sum games that
always can be drawn being a bit on the boring side -- but I did write
MasterMind (the code-breaking game) on an IBM 5100 in APL.  I lived to
regret it, too, as by strange chance John Titor claimed to have come
back from the future to collect an IBM 5100 (see, sigh, the wikipedia
article on Titor if you're VERY bored today) and a group of fairly
active Titor-busters homed in on me as a potential Titor, because I
mentioned this fact on this very forum a decade or so ago and google
revealed this awful truth.

It took more than two lines of APL, though...

    rgb

--
Robert G. Brown
Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305