[Beowulf] Parallel Development Tools

Lombard, David N dnlombar at ichips.intel.com
Tue Oct 16 12:11:55 PDT 2007

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 11:20:51AM -0700, David Mathog wrote:
> Jim Lux <James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote
>
> > and, as we all know, real developers
> > use paper: tape, tab cards, or, if they must, teletype rolls.
>
> You forgot paper tape.  (Most people who used it probably wish they
> could forget it too!)

Let's not get sloppy here, there is (was) 5-hole (Telex) and 7-hole (TWX,
later renamed Telex II) paper tape.

Back in the early eighties, I had to hunt down an owner of an actual Telex
unit to transliterate a spool of 5-hole to text, so that I could have one
of the secretaries punch that onto 7-hole tape.  Early--manual--transcoding :)

--
David N. Lombard, Intel, Irvine, CA
I do not speak for Intel Corporation; all comments are strictly my own.