VM and performance (was Re: [Beowulf] best Linux distribution)

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Oct 9 08:46:35 PDT 2007

On 9 Oct 2007, at 3:48 pm, andrew holway wrote:

> Seems to be some excitement in Europe over Xen, a
> paravirtualisation package.

I ran our bioinformatics benchmark suite on some of our old RLX
blades running Xen, just to see what the performance hit was.  It was
only about 2%, running a mixture of BLAST, HMMER, genewise and
exonerate, many of which are fairly I/O intensive.  I was quite
surprised it was as small a hit as that.

That said, I'm still not using virtualisation on our production
clusters.

Tim