[Beowulf] best linux distribution

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Tue Oct 9 05:42:18 PDT 2007

Bogdan Costescu wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Oct 2007, Robert G. Brown wrote:
>
>> RHEL/Centos are good where vendors require "binary compatibility" on
>> closed source software, as the standard of said binary compatibility.
>
> What strikes me in this whole discussion is the ideea of 'one
> distribution fits all' when applied to all nodes of a cluster and all
> applications that run on that cluster. In the days of PXE booting, with
> several solutions readily available for either building a node from
> scratch (like kickstart) or booting a prebuilt setup with NFS-root or
> ramdisk, what's so difficult in matching on request a node, an
> application and a distribution/custom setup ?
 > [...]

Hello, Bogdan.

I use a combination of PXE booting, NFSROOT and ClusterNFS to set up
individual 'dataless' nodes the way I want - I'm using UNFS3, with
ClusterNFS extensions:

	http://unfs3.sourceforge.net/

I know NFS gets a panning on this list, but it suits our needs!

Best wishes,

	Tony.
Dr. A.J.Travis,                     |  mailto:ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Rowett Research Institute,          |    http://www.rri.sari.ac.uk/~ajt
Greenburn Road, Bucksburn,          |   phone:+44 (0)1224 712751
Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK.    |     fax:+44 (0)1224 716687