[Beowulf] best Linux distribution

Douglas Eadline deadline at eadline.org
Tue Oct 9 05:32:19 PDT 2007

Excellent point. I have often thought that "diskless" provisioning
opens up lots of opportunities to create custom node groups
based on kernels or distributions. Throw in a virtualized
head node and many ISV requirements could be handled this way
e.g. a virtualized Suse environment running on top of Red Hat
could request 32 Suse nodes from the scheduler (running under a
Red Hat instance). The scheduler just provisions nodes as needed
and sets them in a low power state when not being used.
Going with fully virtualized nodes is another option provided
the applications are still close to hardware.

Note that diskless provisioning does not imply diskless nodes,
if you need local drives, then you can still use them in a
diskless booting scheme. Not nailing an OS to the hard drive
on cluster nodes has lots of advantages.

 --
 Doug

--
Doug