[Beowulf] best linux distribution

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Mon Oct 8 15:43:39 PDT 2007

Robert G. Brown wrote:
> [...]
> It is worth noting that (while yes, up2date sucks and has always sucked)
> yum in FC 7 is a far, far cry from yum in RH 9.  Dependency hell is
> always a bad thing, but very, very few people have experienced it with
> yum since maybe FC 4 or 5, if not earlier.

Fair point - My experience of "yum" was in RH9. As I've mentioned here
before I crashed and burned trying to upgrade RH9 to FC2. I had better
experience with Debian, and I wanted to use NEBC's Bio-Linux packages:

	http://envgen.nox.ac.uk/biolinux.html

These are Debian binaries - not the rpm biolinux repository:

	http://www.biolinux.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

This set me off down the Debian/Ubuntu path, which I had already decided
to explore anyway. I'm running an openMosix kernel (linux-2.4.26-om1)
under 'biobuntu' (NEBC Bio-Linux + Ubuntu) on our Beowulf:

	http://bioinformatics.rri.sari.ac.uk

We support VNC logins via SSH, and use lots of desktop applications. I
realise this influences my view about what is the 'best' distribution,
and why the package manager is so important. This is a small (92 node)
cluster, not 'BIG' iron like many people on this list run! However, it's
fairly typical of the sort of DIY cluster the discussion is about...

	Tony.
Dr. A.J.Travis,                     |  mailto:ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Rowett Research Institute,          |    http://www.rri.sari.ac.uk/~ajt
Greenburn Road, Bucksburn,          |   phone:+44 (0)1224 712751
Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK.    |     fax:+44 (0)1224 716687