[Beowulf] 32 nodes cluster price

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Thu Oct 4 15:56:44 PDT 2007

Mark Hahn wrote:

[...]

> if you're really taking the extreme of high disk-to-cpu ratio,
> HP has a product which puts 14xSATA disks in 2U with a single socket
> for about $11k (US list).  sun's thumper is 48x750 in 4U, I think; I don't
> know what kind of cpu it has locally.

... FWIW our JackRabbit unit supports 48 x 1TB (1000GB) drives in 5U ...

A terabyte here, a terabyte there, and soon you are talking about real
storage ... :)

Sun uses Opteron 280's, which are dual core socket 940 processors.  They
are limited to 4 cores and 16 GB ram.  Again, FWIW, our JackRabbit can
hit 16 cores and 64 GB ram.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO