[Beowulf] Problem with Single RAID disk larger than 2TB and Linux

Jon Forrest jlforrest at berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 3 09:13:44 PDT 2007

Guy Coates wrote:
> Luns over 2TB are a bad idea. There are just too many reasons why they might not
> work, and trying to track down the right one is a pain.

Other than the usual putting all your eggs into one basket problem,
why should a lun over 2TB containing an ext3 file system, be any
more risky than those under 2TB, assuming all the partition table
issues are resolved? Are there performance, reliability,
compatibility, or other problems?

(I'm not saying you're wrong but I'm always suspicious of claims
like these without specific examples of why something is a bad
idea.)

Cordially,
--
Jon Forrest