[Beowulf] Naive question: mpi-parallel program in multicore CPUs

Larry Stewart larry.stewart at sicortex.com
Tue Oct 2 11:52:21 PDT 2007

The question of OpenMP vs MPI has been around for a long time,
for example:

http://www.beowulf.org/archive/2001-March/002718.html

My general impression is that it is a waste of time to convert from pure
MPI to
a hybrid approach. For example:

www.sc2000.org/techpapr/papers/pap.pap214.pdf

On the other hand, here's a fellow who got a 4X speedup by going to hybrid:

www.nersc.gov/nusers/services/training/classes/NUG/Jun04/NUG2004_yhe_hybrid.ppt

My own view is that with a modern cluster with fast processors and with
inter-node communications not
that much slower than a cache miss to main memory, the unified MPI model
makes more sense, but
there are many many papers arguing about this topic.

-L