[Beowulf] Software RAID?

stephen mulcahy smulcahy at aplpi.com
Mon Nov 26 00:41:57 PST 2007

Joe Landman wrote:
> stephen mulcahy wrote:
>
>> I'd note that battery backed caches on the RAID cards I've looked at
>> in the last few months seem to come at a *significant* premium over
>> the base price of the card (50-100% type significant).
>
> Hmmm.... those must be either really expensive batteries, or really
> cheap cards then.  Typical battery prices we see are ~$100USD.  Typical
> card prices (for good cards) start around $300USD and go up from there ...

Ahem, I revisited my original research and while I did find a 3ware bbu
for €137 (versus €330 or so for the 4-port 3ware RAID card), I'd accept
that you're still a long way off of the price of a good UPS.

Apologies.

-stephen

--
Stephen Mulcahy, Applepie Solutions Ltd., Innovation in Business Center,
GMIT, Dublin Rd, Galway, Ireland.  +353.91.751262  http://www.aplpi.com