[Beowulf] Teaching Scientific Computation (looking for the perfect text)

Jim Lux james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Nov 20 20:49:28 PST 2007

Quoting Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 at duke.edu>, on Tue 20 Nov 2007
05:07:23 PM PST:

> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 at 4:28pm, Jim Lux wrote
>
>> Quoting Joe Landman <landman at scalableinformatics.com>, on Tue 20
>> Nov 2007 04:09:04 PM PST:
>
>>> Anyone need an adjunct ... :) I was under the impression that the
>>> license fees were much stiffer than that.  For a cluster, $100*N for N
>>> = 16 .. 32 is not bad at all.  Or am I missing something.
>>
>> That's the price for a student getting a copy for their own
>> machine.  They have other schemes for students running on
>> university owned machines, etc. (all carefully designed to avoid
>> rampant illegal copying, I'm sure)
>
> Also keep in mind that the student edition includes none of the handy
> toolboxes mentioned upthread.  To get those you must buy the "full"
> edition.  Also, the student edition generally lags well behind the full
> edition version-wise.

Some of the toolboxes are included.

The other price list I saw had Matlab and Simulink for $99, then each
toolbox was $59. (If you wanted all toolboxes, that could get pricey,
but almost nobody uses them all... heck, all of the 5000 odd toilers
at JPL share only  2 or 3 licenses for some of the toolboxes)