[Beowulf] Teaching Scientific Computation (looking for the perfect text)

Toon Moene toon at moene.indiv.nluug.nl
Tue Nov 20 13:54:32 PST 2007

Nathan Moore wrote:

> After reflection though, I've started to wonder about the wisdom of my
> choice.  Specifically (like RGB), I love the GSL library, and extending
> GSL to fortran in an intro class is non-trivial.  Additionally, most
> vendors supply "fast" hardware libraries in C (I may be ignorant, but if
> a student wants to call an AMD ACML fast-math function(
> http://developer.amd.com/acml.jsp), or write a linear algebra function
> to run on a graphics card(http://developer.nvidia.com/object/cuda.html
> <http://developer.nvidia.com/object/cuda.html>), the vendors seem to
> assume that you'll write the code in C).

For these specific points, couldn't you use the ISO C-binding feature of
Fortran 2003 ?  I do not know off-hand whether g95 implements it (but I
think it does).  It's also part of gfortran 4.3.0 (not released yet, but
only months away).

--
Toon Moene - e-mail: toon at moene.indiv.nluug.nl - phone: +31 346 214290
At home: http://moene.indiv.nluug.nl/~toon/