[Beowulf] Joe Blaylock's notes on running a MacOS cluster, Nov. 2007

Geoff Jacobs gdjacobs at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 16:28:56 PST 2007

Eugen Leitl wrote:
<snip />

>     * Learn Darwin, in detail. Figure out the CLI way to do everything,
>       and do it. In fact, forget Mac OS X; just use Darwin. Learn the
>       system's error codes, figure out how to manipulate fat binaries
>       (and how to strip them to make skinny ones), be able to manipulate
>       users, debug the executing binaries, etc. Consider looking into
>       the Apple disk imaging widget so you can boot the nodes diskless.

That sounds a great deal like running a BSD or Linux cluster.

I still don't know why OS X would be even considered for use on a
cluster. The Apple kernel dev team has a central focus on graphical user
experience rather than raw performance. What has that to do with HPC?

--
Geoffrey D. Jacobs

To have no errors
  would be life without meaning