[Beowulf] Joe Blaylock's notes on running a MacOS cluster, Nov. 2007

Geoff Jacobs gdjacobs at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 16:28:56 PST 2007

Eugen Leitl wrote:
<snip />

>     * Learn Darwin, in detail. Figure out the CLI way to do everything,
>       and do it. In fact, forget Mac OS X; just use Darwin. Learn the
>       system's error codes, figure out how to manipulate fat binaries
>       (and how to strip them to make skinny ones), be able to manipulate
>       users, debug the executing binaries, etc. Consider looking into
>       the Apple disk imaging widget so you can boot the nodes diskless.

That sounds a great deal like running a BSD or Linux cluster.

I still don't know why OS X would be even considered for use on a
cluster. The Apple kernel dev team has a central focus on graphical user
experience rather than raw performance. What has that to do with HPC?

Geoffrey D. Jacobs

To have no errors
  would be life without meaning
  No struggle, no joy