[Beowulf] Quad-Core Parallelism

Donald Shillady quantummechanicsllc at msn.com
Fri Nov 16 07:40:20 PST 2007

I am wondering if there is any work on software for true parallism at the software level on any of the new Quad-Core chips?  Unfortunately, during my career since 1965 I have tried to write my own software and avoided using canned software and that has served me well in changing over many different systems so parallel ESSL does me little good and I would have to recode a lot of things to use the ESSL routines.  I am now retired but still using WATCOM f77 for coding quantum chemistry under WINDOWS.  I have spent many years on UNIX variants whether HP or SGI systems and I have installed LINSPIRE on my PC so I could switch to REDHAT LINUX with little trouble.  The question is whether ESSL or Parallel-ESSL is needed to do true parallel computing on a Quad-core chip?  Basically I would like to know if anyone is working on making a Quad-core CPU parallel (preferably f77 or f99) under RedHat LINUX?  If I install RedHat LINUX on a Quad-core CPU (thus avoiding a high speed switch) what would be needed to run parallel f77, a new compiler?

Don Shillady
Emeritus Professor of Chemistry
Virginia Commonwealth University