[Beowulf] MPI for Python?

Jaime Perea jaime.perea at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 00:43:25 PST 2007

El Viernes, 2 de Noviembre de 2007, Charlie Peck escribió:
> We'd like to start using MPI with Python.  We've found a number of
> different bindings, mympi and pympi seem to be the most commonly used
> but there are others as well.  We're not Python experts and were
> wondering what others might suggest is the "best" MPI binding to use
> with Python.
> thanks,
> charlie

On my experience, it depends on your needs. Sometimes in order
to handle all the data structures that python allows, a pickle is done
before actually sending the message, which obviously increases the
latency.  If you want to go faster you should avoid this and send/receive
plain arrays. pypar implements this. I don't know if pypar is the only
wrapper which allows for this but it works quite well. On the other hand
it doesn't implement all the mpi calls.

           Jaime D. Perea Duarte. <jaime at iaa dot es>
             Linux registered user #10472

           Dep. Astrofisica Extragalactica.
           Instituto de Astrofisica de Andalucia (CSIC)
           Apdo. 3004, 18080 Granada, Spain.