fast pipes to the house Re: [Beowulf] HDTV video file sizes

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Tue May 29 15:11:43 PDT 2007

On Tue, 29 May 2007, Jim Lux wrote:

> So how's Verizon going to amortize the $900 installation cost of my FiOS?

As an investment.  So that they "win".  Because if they don't, others
will and they'll lose.  And yeah, ultimately YOU will pay for it, but
maybe not all at once and up front.

Speaking of your other issues -- one possible solution is media
replication and media servers.  OK, so to be able to deliver (say) the
2000 top DVD titles on demand requires 10-20 TB of storage.  That's a
trivial investment, really.  Disk (even RAID disk) is perhaps $0.25/GB.
Storing a movie costs at MOST $5-10 -- small compared to the capital
investment required to sell them or rent them on physical media.  And
disk is ever cheaper, servers ever faster.

So if one locates "stores" of basically all the titles one might wish to
deliver that auto-replicate on demand while solving an "interesting"
problem in provisioning and optimization throughout communities (with a
suitable tree structure or network) one can avoid a lot of resource
contention on the aggregate backbone.  There are already companies
trying to move into this space using the limited bw already available --
however, centralized distribution models probably will not scale.

All we REALLY need is for somebody to be working on the ware needed to
heat up a direct neural interface to the information.  I'm tired of
typing.

    rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu