[Beowulf] Syslog Server-Traffic

Eli Stair estair at ilm.com
Wed May 2 13:30:41 PDT 2007

If you engineer the config well, you won't have any significant amount of
"insignificant" traffic.  Whether your situation is vulnerable to minute amounts of
traffic and client-side processing of packets sent is site-specific.

Using syslog-ng (or several other options), you can configure the compute nodes to
only send log messages you want to be aware of (or restrict from sending known
messages you don't want logged), as well as doing rate-limiting to avoid spamming
your network/logserver in the event of a typical freak-out event.

/eli