[Beowulf] How to Diagnose Cause of Cluster Ethernet Errors?

Douglas Eadline deadline at clustermonkey.net
Sat Mar 31 10:38:50 PDT 2007

Jon

A few things,

1) You may find MPI Link Checker from Microway helpful
in this situation. There was free beta version floating around
at one point. Plus ethtool can be helpful to check and see how
the nodes are connecting to the switch.

2) Also, I never have considered NetGear a high performance
switch. I have seen big improvements in applications
by replacing a cheap switch with a slightly more
expensive better performing switch. Note this may
or may not be your problem, so don't run out
and buy a new switch, but not all switches
hold up under the loads HPC applications
throw at them.

<Soapbox>
I am constantly amazed at how many people buy the
latest and greatest node hardware and then connect
them with a sub-optimal switch (or cheap cables), thus reducing
the effective performance of the nodes (for parallel
applications). Kind "penny wise and pound foolish" as they say.
</Soapbox>

 --
 Doug

--