[Beowulf] How to Diagnose Cause of Cluster Ethernet Errors?

Steve Phillips (stevep) stevep at cisco.com
Fri Mar 30 16:40:04 PDT 2007

One thing to check is that the switch and NIC are negotiating duplex
correctly... Duplex mis-negotiation (ie switch full, NIC half) used to
be a fairly common cause of FCS errors, although this is rare now as
drivers have gotten a lot better. What will happen is the Full duplex
station will transmit when the half duplex station is sending, causing
it to think it has seen a collision, whereupon it ceases transmission
and you have a packet fragment with no FCS. FCS errored frames will be
dropped by the switch, so performance will be horrible.

One easy way to fix this is to set duplex on both ends of the connection
to 10000/full and retest.

HTH - Steve P