[Beowulf] Server room design consulting

Daniel Majchrzak dan at usf.edu
Wed Mar 28 10:50:16 PDT 2007

We have a dedicated cluster room, email server room, and networking room
that have slowly evolved over the years. Due to budget constraints in
the past no one has ever done an analysis of our electricity and AC.
(We've had the facilities people in, but their analysis wasn't any
better than our own guestimates. ) When increases in either power or
cooling were necessary it was either done piecemeal or not done at all.
(We have had some orders to come up with some "zero-dollar" solutions).
Now all three rooms are about to go through some equipment expansions.
While we can make some rough estimates, and we could go to the
university's facilities people, we thought we would try to get some
funds together to hire some professional services so that it gets done
right.  Has any one on the list had any experiences they would like to
share on hiring these kind of consultants.  Referrals?  Can anyone give
a (very) rough estimate of what we should expect to pay?

Thanks,

Dan