[Beowulf] The recently solved Lie Group problem E8

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 08:09:54 PDT 2007

First, a picky but pertinent point: Fermat's Last Theorem wasn't done by
machine. It was Andrew Wiles, at Princeton. The story is that he broke up a
major work into Least Publishable Units, and set to work on FLT in secret,
submitting a LPU once in awhile so his colleagues woudn't be suspicious.
Then after announcing the result at the Newton Institute in England,
wrinkles were discovered, and there was a couple years of intense labor,
speculation, and unprecedended (for us) media coverage. The final work is
two huge book-sized papers which would prerequire a couple years of
Arithmetic Algebraic Geometry to be able to read, that is, few of us other
than AAGeometers will ever be able to read it.

Yet this daunting thing was produced by humans, not machine. It's still
virtually intractable.

The Classification of Finite Simple Groups project is a modern legend. The
finished result is in **thousands** of papers published by hundreds of
algebarists, and last I heard some bits were still being combed over but
it's generally accepted as a Done Deal (there is a new project to try and
simplify it). The largest of the "Sporadic" Finite Simple Groups is the
Monster; it's order has factors of all the primes, 2, 3, 5, up to 31.
consecutively, then with 5 more prime factors skipping a bit among 37
through 67. The total order is too big a number to describe meaningfully in
casual email (the exponent of 2 is a double-digit number, for starters).

We don't need computers to do this kind of harrowing work; computers just
make it easier :-)

For centuries (since Euler) there was an open problem, The Four Color Map
Theorem (or Conjecture). How many colors do you need to color a map so that
countries that share a border (longer than a single point) have different
colors? The answer is 4. Cartographers knew this for millenia; they could
color maps that way, and it matters alot to printers. But Euler himself
could not prove it. He did classify all graphs (maps reduce to graphs; an
edge between nodes is a border between countries) into a short list of
special cases that would be sufficient to prove the theorem. Unfortunately
many of those special cases were so huge that nobody could color them by
hand. It took a computer, and this was done in the late 70's, at
Northwestern I think, when Robert and I were students, and maybe we both
attended that talk at Duke.

That result brought Robert's concern out in the open: do we believe a proof
that is too long for us to personally verify ourselves?  With Wiles and the
group classification thing and some other such work, we've realized that
machines aren't required. It is a practical impossibility for me to verify
Wiles' work; in principle, maybe I could in, say, a decade. To verify the 4
color theorem would take me centuries. But really that's just a matter of
degree.

What came out of the soul-searching is that we believe the process that
generated the result (which may involve code, hardware, peer-review,
reproducible measurements....) instead of the pile of generated paper. I can
read the source code at Northwestern, verify that, read over Euler's list,
verify that,. and then know that the correct algorithm applied to the
correct material will give a correct result.; Then I could run it on my own
machine to check hardware did not affect the result.

It made a lot of us very uncomfortable, but we left behind the day when
everyone could read everything for himself, sometime between Guttenburg and
Leibnitz's Monadology.

Peter