[Beowulf] Project Planning: Storage, Network, and Redundancy Considerations

Mike Davis jmdavis1 at vcu.edu
Mon Mar 19 09:04:49 PDT 2007

Brian,

My personal preference is to keep scratch on the compute nodes whenever
possible. This reduces network traffic dramatically. The method that we
use for this is to write wrappers for our more common applications
(VASP, G03, DeMon) setting scratch to /tmp on the nodes. For interactive
work such as abaqus the env variables are set to you /tmp as well.

We do not make use of Myranet or infiniband at this time and we have 120
current nodes on one HP modular switch (combo of dual single and dual
dual opterons). I have another 70 dual duals and one 8way dual to add
this year.

One thing that you might consider for performance is a completely
separate nfs network. Connecting all nodes to a switch with a 10gb gbic
that connects to the thumper or other storage device.

We use zfs for some purposes (/home on a number of research machines
sharing a 5.6TB storage unit with a v40z frontend and nfs) but until now
the clusters still use ext3 (yes, I know that there are problems).

I've thought that Mississippi State's design with individual rack
gigabit switches connected by 10gb gbics was interesting. But we are
getting good performance with all of the nodes connected at 1gb to a
single switch and I think that it is easier to manage.

Mike Davis