[Beowulf] Benchmark between Dell Poweredge 1950 And 1435

Tom Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 14 15:30:35 PDT 2007

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 01:40:42PM -0700, Bill Broadley wrote:
> Subject: Re: [Beowulf] Benchmark between Dell Poweredge 1950 And 1435
> Cc: beowulf at beowulf.org
>
> Renato S. Silva wrote:
> >Hi
> >
> >What is the best  compiler for AMD processors ?

Bill is exactly correct... the answer depends on you code.

I have a bias to the PathScale compiler (available from QLogic, see www.pathscale.com)
but some constructs are handled better by one compiler and not so well by other compilers.
So benchmark your code and see what happens.

Sometimes the important issue is code that is clean and
standards compliant (thus portable and bug free).  Working with
a pair of quality compilers at the same time during development
can help in this goal.

It also, turns out that clean and standards compliant code
tends to run faster more often than not.

You might also look at Spec (www.spec.org) results for
various AMD processor based systems to see what compiler
hardware vendors found to be the best....  The footnotes
are interesting.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new place to hang my hat :-)