[Beowulf] A start in Parallel Programming?

Lombard, David N dnlombar at ichips.intel.com
Tue Mar 13 11:49:35 PDT 2007

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 12:33:50PM -0500, Peter St. John wrote:
> Brown Dai-Sensei-Sama,
> Re: FORTRAN, for awhile there we didn't really compile it, but translate it
> to C and then invoke the C compiler. That gets you the beauty of the IMSL
> libraries and the efficiency of very sharply maintained C compilers, at the
> same time.

Hmm, FORTRAN was around long before C was even a gleam in Dennis' eyes ;)

>            Is there a good extant FORTRAN compiler? I wonder why, fortran is
> easy to express in C (unlike conceptually variant languages, like APL or
> LISP).

Actually, outstanding Fortran compilers are available today.  As for why,
"expressable in another language" shouldn't be confused in any way, shape, or
form with "performs well another language."

David N. Lombard, Intel, Irvine, CA
I do not speak for Intel Corporation; all comments are strictly my own.