[Beowulf] A start in Parallel Programming?

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 09:06:26 PDT 2007

Kyle,
I know it's easy to always say "study more"; I'm sure your professors have
plenty for you to do. However, if you want to program stuff yourself, I urge
you accept (at least) two languages. C/C++ is the only way to go for such
things as linux kernel hacking. LISP is a huge window of insight into AI and
is a completely different way of thinking. But particularly, I don't think
we start to understand prgramming at a higher level until we have learned
two; it's like, we learn English from constant use, but we don't grok "past
pluperfect" until someone tries to teach us French. Right now you are in a
perfect environment to learn and use both. You don't need to become a
Language Lawyer in either.
The great fun of computing is that you can tinker with your own working
models of anything. Write a compiler, a database, a network, a finite
representation of  p-adics, whatever you want, for any of your classes. So
coding, like reading and writing, is a basic useful skill :-)
Similarly, in math, I urge you to take at least a little in each of Algebra,
Geometry, and Analysis :-)
Peter