[Beowulf] Benchmark between Dell Poweredge 1950 And 1435

Kozin, I (Igor) i.kozin at dl.ac.uk
Thu Mar 8 09:43:21 PST 2007

> So, yes, clock-for-clock (and for my usage) Xeon 51xxs are
> faster than
> Opterons.  But, if your code hits memory *really hard* (which
> that heart
> model does), then the multiple paths to memory available to
> the Opterons
> allow them to scale better.

Yes, and this is consistent with stream numbers we were discussing
a while ago. Enabling cache snoop filter can pump up stream
numbers considerably but unfortunately I find its effect on
application performance to be erratic: from -10% to +4%.

If the original poster goes for Xeon I'd suggest considering
to pay a little premium (20 pounds) and upgrade to 667 MHz FB DIMMs.