[Beowulf] Benchmark between Dell Poweredge 1950 And 1435

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 08:33:09 PST 2007

Joshua,
Those benchmarks are quite interesting and I wonder if I interpret them at
all correctly.
It would seem that the Intel outperforms it's advantage in clockspeed (1/6th
faster, but ballpark 1/3 better performance?) so the question would be
performance gain per dollar cost (which is fine); however, for that heart
simulation towards the end, it looks like the AMD scales up with increasing
nodecount enormously better, and with several nodes actually outperforms the
faster Intel.
Should I guess at relatively poor performance of the networking on the
motherboard used with the intel chip or does that have anything to do with
the CPU itself?
Of course I myself am not much of an electronics geek. All I know is that
copper is porous and electrons are reallly, really tiny billiard balls, but
I don't understand where the cue stick is at all.
Peter