[Beowulf] network filesystem

Craig Tierney ctierney at hypermall.net
Mon Mar 5 13:47:50 PST 2007

Stu Midgley wrote:
> I'd strongly recommend Lustre.  It will work perfectly well from a
> single server node and give much higher bandwidths than NFS.  If you
> have two nic's you can also serve up the file system over both and see
> around 150MB/s total bandwidth.
>
> Also, if you need more storage in the future, you can just add more
> servers... and get linear scaling of bandwidth.

How much do you use Lustre?  Yes, you can get that bandwidth,
but if you code doesn't do large-streaming I/O, you performance
will be worse than NFS.  Also, I would like to hear someone
speakup that uses Lustre in a PRODUCTION environment that
doesn't have a kernel hacker on staff.

Also, Lustre metadata doesn't scale (yet).  You can add
another server, but that won't improve the metadata.

Using Lustre also requires you to re-patch your kernel every security
update, then get the bugs out again.

Lustre is the right answer for some, but if you aren't going
to have that many compute nodes.  It doesn't sound like
it here.

Craig