[Beowulf] network filesystem

Walid walid.shaari at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 07:41:58 PST 2007

On 3/5/07, Chris Samuel <csamuel at vpac.org> wrote:

> > - compound rpcs. probably provides somewhat better efficiency.
>
> Yup, should ease the burden of a lot stat()'s.

> > - client caching/delegation/leases - could be valuable for efficiency.
>
> Indeed, this to me is the most useful part of it, especially for those
> people
> who are running code that should use local scratch but doesn't (either due
> lack of coding experience or not having access to the source)..

Our developers  had  that issue  of inconsistent  file system  view in RHEL
based systems, some of it is solved by disabling dir list caching, another
by using noac,  what the other was doing was writing simultaneously to  the
same file partitioned over several nodes, I told this is probably not the
right way to do file writing. apparently he used to do it in Sun Solaris and
it worked flawlessly. NFSv4 brings to the table standard client
implementation. unfortunately Red Hat recommends RHEL5 which should be out
soon now for NFSv4

Walid.