[Beowulf] IMPI network monitoring

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Tue Jun 26 20:19:45 PDT 2007

Hi Geoff

Geoff Galitz wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have some older Dell PowerEdge 850's.  These guys have IPMI 1.1
> capabilities.  I cannot seem to find a way to interrogate these systems and
> get the status of the network interfaces.  In particular I want to see if
> there are dropped packets, bad frames, collisions...  That kind of thing.

These items probably aren't available.  I don't see such things in the
IPMI 2.0 implementations.  Not sure it is the 2.0 spec either.

> Going through the OS is not an option as they are running as an embedded
> platform.

Hmmm

> Is this possible to get this data via IPMI?

If you have the capability to develop a custom i2c or similar interface
to the network hardware, you should be able to monitor it that way.
Then you would need to also include a method for ipmi to return custom
measurements from i2c.  This would require hardware and software changes.

Joe

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO