[Beowulf] any gp-gpu clusters?

Eric Shook eric-shook at uiowa.edu
Fri Jun 22 09:15:29 PDT 2007

Hi Jeff,

I registered to see article and I must admit it was an excellent read.
It provided a nice high-level overview of GPU programming and introduced
libraries / languages that I was previously not aware of.  I will be
looking into these options as well.  Thank you for posting the link.

Eric

Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:
> I have no idea if this will help anyone, but here is an article
> that might help get started or at least provide some links:
>
> http://www.linux-mag.com/launchpad/business-class-hpc/main/3533
>
> WARNING: You have to register to read the article (sorry
> about that).
>
>  From what I understand, CTM is really just the low-level definition
> of the interface to AMD Stream processors. On the other hand
> CUDA is a real compiler with added features to make coding
> for GPUs easier. It also has a BLAS and FFT library.
>
> I think NVIDIA is ahead in the tools department, but I don't
> expect AMD to stay behind.
>
> Jeff
>

>> Hi all,
>> is anyone messing with GPU-oriented clusters yet?
>>
>> I'm working on a pilot which I hope will be something like 8x
>> workstations, each with 2x recent-gen gpu cards.
>> the goal would be to host cuda/rapidmind/ctm-type gp-gpu development.
>>
>> part of the motive here is just to create a gpu-friendly
>> infrastructure into which commodity cards can be added and refreshed
>> every 8-12 months.  as opposed to "investing" in quadro-level cards
>> which are too expensive enough to toss when obsoleted.
>>
>> nvidia's 1U tesla (with two g80 chips) looks potentially attractive,
>> though I'm guessing it'll be premium/quadro-priced - not really in
>> keeping with the hyper-moore's-law mantra...
>>
>> if anyone has experience with clustered gp-gpu stuff, I'm interested
>> in comments on particular tools, experiences, configuration of the host
>> machines and networks, etc.  for instance, is it naive to think that
>> gp-gpu is most suited to flops-heavy-IO-light apps, and therefore doesn't
>> necessarily need a hefty (IB, 10Geth) network?
>>
>> thanks, mark hahn.

Eric Shook (319) 335-6714
Technical Lead, Systems and Operations - GROW
http://grow.uiowa.edu