[Beowulf] Two problems related to slowness and TASK_UNINTERRUPTABLE process

Tahir Malas tmalas at ee.bilkent.edu.tr
Wed Jun 13 05:37:08 PDT 2007

Considering the latency and bw measures, my expectation for the
communication times in us:
512: 5.48 + 512/592.34 = 6.34
4096: 11.02 + 4096/906.04 = 15.54
Our test:
512: 29.434
4096: 16.209

So, somehow, isn't communication time for 512 bytes is unexpectedly slow?

> > 2. SOMETIMES, after the test with overall 32 processes, one of the four
> > processes at node3 hangs in TASK_UNINTERRUPTABLE "D" state. Hence, the
> test
> > program shows a "done." and waits for sometime. We can neither kill the
> > process nor soft reboot the node. We have to wait for that process to
> > terminate, which can last long.
>
> does /proc/$pid/wchan (on the 'D' state process) tell you anything?
> do all the ranks return from MPI_Finalize?

The file tells "__lock_buffer". Yes, all ranks return; but I think, this
problematic process (i.e. one of the processes on node3) returns always the
latest.

Thanks, and regards,
Tahir.