[Beowulf] openMosix ending

Jon Forrest jlforrest at berkeley.edu
Tue Jul 17 08:34:32 PDT 2007

Geoff Galitz wrote:

> The lack of kernel supported checkpointing capabilities in the linux
> kernel is something that  has baffled me or a while. I wonder if  it
 > was ever submitted and then rejected?  It seems a natural
> fit for many organizations.  Are there hardware limitations in the x86 world?

I've always heard that what makes checkpoint/restart hard is having
to handle asynchronous events.

The Berkeley NOW project was going to do checkpoint/restart as one
of their initial projects but it never happened. If I remember
correctly, it turned out to be harder than they thought to do
completely right.

Jon Forrest
Unix Computing Support
College of Chemistry