[Beowulf] massive parallel processing application, required

Steve Heaton steve_heaton at iinet.net.au
Wed Jan 31 22:29:33 PST 2007

G'day Jim and all

Two interesting space examples would be the original Viking lander pics.
The story goes that they were in such a rush to get the images to the
press conference that they 'made the sky blue and the ground red'.

Later, more careful analysis showed the sky a more dusty pink/brown and
the surface a truer brown (stronger purple component).

At the other end of the scale, the general public 'scooped' the Huygen's
team by processing the raw landing approach images using the likes of
Photoshop and had them on the Web in advance of the official release.

I'm sure, Jim, you likely have more inside details than I ;)

On the topic of met models, if anyone's looking for some good 'toy' code
to start from, have a look at PUMA:
http://www.mi.uni-hamburg.de/PUMA.215.0.html

I recommend GrADS for the viz: http://www.iges.org/grads/

The PSU/NCAR MM5 code scares the willys out of me! ;)

(There *is* a train of thought here... I've used PUMA many moons ago to
build my own Martian and Titan models. A certain perverse pleasure in
watching your model shake itself to pieces!)

Cheers
Stevo

=====