FW: [Beowulf] Which distro for the cluster?

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Tue Jan 2 15:32:09 PST 2007

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006, Cunningham, Dave wrote:

> I notice that Scyld is notable by it's absence from this discussion.  Is
> that due to cost, or bad/no experience, or other factors?  There is a
> lot of interest in it around my company lately.

Scyld is a fine choice for a cluster, but not usually for a first time
learning cluster for non-professionals.  This is in part because it
costs money, and in part because it is designed to encapsulate a lot of
what one has to do to "make a cluster" to the point where it is nearly
entirely hidden from the user/administrator.  This is desireable from a
corporate point of view (although I personally think that one needs a
certain amount of actual cluster experience to get the most out of even
Scyld) but not so good for poor people seeking to learn.  It also limits
you at least somewhat to the particular parallel computing model that
Scyld itself embraces.

A good friend of mine at Duke uses Scyld for his biochemistry cluster,
and although he's been doing cluster computing for a rather long time
(close to 10 years at a guess, maybe even more) and COULD and HAS IN THE
PAST done it all himself, he really likes Scyld's general cluster
administration and encapsulation features.  Of course the grants that
fund the research are deep-pocketed enough to afford it, as well.  That
isn't always the case in academe, and it really isn't the case at home.

However, Don Becker is on the list and you've given him an open
invitation to present Scyld, who it is really designed and intended for,
and maybe even an overview of how it (currently) works.  Don?

    rgb