[Beowulf] Re: failure trends in a large disk drive population

Richard Walsh rbw at ahpcrc.org
Wed Feb 21 07:06:17 PST 2007

Mark Hahn wrote:
>>   Not sure the vapor pressure of the perfluoroethers that they use as
>> lubricants
>>   varies that much over the operating temperature regime of a disk
>> drive.
> on the other hand, do these lubricants tend to get sticky or something
> at lowish temperatures?  the google results showed significantly greater
> failures in young drives at low temperatures.  (as well as extreme-temp
> drives when at end-of-life.)

Hey Mark,

Good question.  The properties of perfluoropolyethers (Krytox, Fomblin,
Demnum)
must be well-known, but the Googling I did yielded only a single
reference on
point which I did not want to pay for.  The ambient temperature range in
the study
is pretty small which would limit viscosity variation, but when the head
arrives
at a long unread location on a cooler disk maybe there are some shear
effects.

Any disk drive vendors read this list and care to comment?

rbw

--

Richard B. Walsh

"The world is given to me only once, not one existing and one
 perceived. The subject and object are but one."

Erwin Schroedinger

Project Manager
Network Computing Services, Inc.
Army High Performance Computing Research Center (AHPCRC)
rbw at ahpcrc.org  |  612.337.3467

This message (including any attachments) may contain proprietary or
privileged information, the use and disclosure of which is legally
restricted.  If you have received this message in error please notify
the sender by reply message, do not otherwise distribute it, and delete
this message, with all of its contents, from your files.