[Beowulf] A Sample MPI job

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Tue Feb 20 14:02:07 PST 2007

> I have a big system ( proprietory system not beowulf ) to maintain and I
> don't know anything about programming.

beowulf doesn't mean "weekend hack of noname parts" - proprietary-ness
is orthogonal to the beowulf design principle...

> I want to test the performance of this system.  Can anyone send me a sample
> MPI/MPICH job that I can run to test the performance of the system.

there are lots of freely available benchmark codes available.
one classic is linpack, which forms the basis for the top500 list.
it's valuable because it does some realistic(ish) computation,
checks its results, and can be tuned to bang hard on cpu/memory.

I'd suggest just downloading the HPCC (HPC challenge) benchmarks;
it includes a raw network latency/bandwidth test as well.