[Beowulf] GlusterFS 1.2-BENKI (GNU Cluster File System) - Announcement

Kevin Ball kevin.ball at qlogic.com
Fri Feb 9 13:08:11 PST 2007

Hi Mark,

> > On IB - nfs works only with IPoIB, whereas glusterfs does SDP (and ib-verbs,
> > from the source repository) and is clearly way faster than NFS.
>
> "clearly"s like that make me nervous.  to an IB enthusiast, SDP may be
> more aesthetically pleasing, but why do you think IPoIB should be noticably
> slower than SDP?  lower cpu overhead, probably, but many people have no
> problem running IP at wirespeed on IB/10GE-speed wires...

As I understand it, one reason why SDP is faster than IPoIB is that the
way IPoIB is currently spec'ed requires there be an extra copy relative
to SDP.  It is also specced with a smaller MTU, which makes a fair
difference.  I believe there is movement afoot to change the spec to
allow for a larger MTU, but I'm not an IB expert and don't follow it
religiously.

-Kevin