[Beowulf] how green is that?!?

richard.walsh at comcast.net richard.walsh at comcast.net
Thu Dec 20 07:38:09 PST 2007

From: Mark Hahn <hahn at mcmaster.ca>

> http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php?id=312084283
>
> very amusing and effective stunt for SiCortex! though I wonder
> whether the total carbon footprint winds up being bigger than when
> using conventional power (ie, that the human+foodchain system is
> itself fairly high-carbon...)

Right.  Maybe running of a bunch of photo-voltaics would have been more hydrocarbon friendly (if not market grabbing), but the machine is more peak-efficient (there is little benchmark data out there) per watt than Blue Gene by my calculation, more balanced than Opteron (not than a Cray), and has a very cool custom interconnect.  It takes some baby steps in the direction of "many-core" with more and simpler cores than the current generation of x86-64 chips.  If it is possible for custom machines to regain traction in this space, I think SiCortex's systems are the best bet.
Regards,
rbw

--

"Making predictions is hard, especially about the future."

Niels Bohr

--

Richard Walsh
Thrashing River Consulting--