[Beowulf] [AMD64] Gentoo or Fedora

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Aug 31 13:30:21 PDT 2007

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007, Ed Hill wrote:

> But maybe I'm just turning into a cynical old man.  Maybe I should
> abandon rational thought and concentrate on having fun pimping my
> ride.  :-)

Dear Ed,

These last possibilities are almost certainly true, however accurate and
valuable your previous assertions were;-)

    rgb

> ps - Please, if you are going to take issue with this post then
>     by all means bring with you some actual benchmark numbers
>     that we can reproduce on our laptops and desktops.  Bonus
>     points if you can write a script that does a semi-decent
>     job of automating such a benchmark.

Amen, although I'm happy enough to provide a toplevel interface and/or
scripts to do the automation with if people use benchmaster...

But benchmaster almost certainly won't show any macro-advantages as it
is a micro-benchmark.  And macro benchmarks based on tools like mysql
are notoriously poor predictors of performance variations with anything
BUT the tool in question, if that (even though I used to read PC
Magazine "benchmarks" of just that sort for DOS and Windows boxes with
great amusement for many years).

    rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu