[Beowulf] [AMD64] Gentoo or Fedora

Larry Stewart larry.stewart at sicortex.com
Fri Aug 31 12:10:08 PDT 2007

Mark Hahn wrote:

>> For X86 archtectures, it actually makes a very noticable performance
>> change (30%?) to use build switches that are appropriate for your
>> machines, rather than the generic switches chosen by Red Had or
>

> interesting.  30% on what operations?

I should absolutely know not to report a number without a citation.
I was thinking of this report: http://www.linux.com/articles/41348
but it is actually comparing Linux vs other Unixlike OSs.
The Linux happens to be Gentoo, and the comments cite
Gentoo's "unfair advantage" because it is compiled with optimization!

So I shouldn't have claimed a performance advantage against other
distributions.  Might be true, but not supported by this study.

--
-Larry / SiCortex