[Beowulf] [AMD64] Gentoo or Fedora

Larry Stewart larry.stewart at sicortex.com
Fri Aug 31 09:56:48 PDT 2007

>On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 10:10:43AM -0500, Juan Camilo Hernandez wrote:
>

>>I want to ask what kind of experiencies do you has in the
>>implementation of a beowulf cluster (using Gentoo or Fedora in AMD64
>>architectures) for metheorological applications and wich one of the
>>distros do you recommend me.

We use Gentoo at SiCortex because we have to build from sources anyway
for our MIPS architecture processors, because Gentoo makes it straight-
forward to express dependencies among packages, and because the
ability to control, for example, compiler switches per-package is
quite useful.

For X86 archtectures, it actually makes a very noticable performance
change (30%?) to use build switches that are appropriate for your
machines, rather than the generic switches chosen by Red Had or
Novell.
--

-Larry / SiCortex