[Beowulf] 64-bit AMD Opteron with 32-bit Intel Xeon possible?

Jeramy Ashlock Jeramy.Ashlock at Colorado.EDU
Wed Aug 29 18:31:01 PDT 2007

Hello, I'm a newbie to Beowulf clusters and mpi, and I'm a little
confused as to how to proceed because I don't have a standard
homogeneous cluster.  I'm reading the Introduction to MPI from the PACS
group and "Beowulf cluster computing with Linux" by Gropp et al. to
learn how to later parallelize my code, but I'm trying to get MPI up and
running at the same time.

For now I have only 2 dual-processor (smp) machines from ASL that I am
trying to get working together with a fortran 90 code that includes the
LAPACK solver ZGESVX.  One machine has 32-bit Xeons, the other has
64-bit Opterons.  To complicate things even more, I have a Lahey f95
compiler on the 32-bit machine using the Intel MKL for the solver
routine, and a PGI f95 compiler on the 64-bit machine using the ACML for
the solver routine.

I tried to get mpich2 working, but couldn't get the ring to work with my
iptables, and mpich1 is recommended for heterogeneous clusters
anyways.   I know LAM-MPI is designed for heterogeneous clusters, and
mpich1 has some 64-bit issues with the PGI compiler (see
http://www.pgroup.com/resources/mpich/mpich126_pgi60.htm), but PGI does
not support debugging with LAM-MPI.  So for now, I'm trying to get
MPICH1 working and I will try LAM-MPI later.

Now, If I first install PGI's portabliity library on the Xeon machine
and I use  MKL rather than ACML for the solver, I can then use the
64-bit compiler to create a 32-bit executable that will run on both the
Opteron and Xeon machines.  My questions are:

1.)  Is it recommended to compile a single executable that will run on
both machines as I have done, or is it easy to allow different
executables (i.e. make a 64bit executable for the Opteron machine)?

2.)  When installing MPICH1, should I configure/make/make install
separately on both machines, or will I end up with library
incompatibilities because of the 32 vs. 64bit architectures?  Should I
just install MPICH1 on one machine and copy over the resulting directory
tree /usr/local/mpich?

sorry for the ugly mess and thanks in advance for any assistance you can
give.