[Beowulf] small file systems

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 10:28:39 PDT 2007

Robert,
That's just the kind of thing I've been looking for, for quite awhile.
Tricked out to be a compute node (max speed, RAM, Flash, ethernet, but no
video stuff, or video in, Heaven forbid) it's unit price is $78 in the base
lot of one thousand; I'd buy a box of ten, which would total $1560 (not
counting cables etc and whatever I use as file server/head node). So max
thruput would be 10x 500 MHz, sorta a 5GHz computer for $1600, which is a
deal, for sufficiently distributable apps, which I got. So thanks, this
definitely establishes a minimum target for me. The Alpha boxen are free but
few.
Peter