[Beowulf] small file systems

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Aug 27 16:15:18 PDT 2007

At 03:46 PM 8/27/2007, Lombard, David N wrote:
>On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 03:07:22PM -0700, Jim Lux wrote:
> > And here's a challenge at the other end of the spectrum.
> >
> > What's the lowest cost, simplest, closest to off the shelf way to
> > build a small network file server that can do DHCP/PXE booting, etc.
> > for a compact low power cluster.  Something like a LinkSys NSLU-2
> > (<$100 but you need to add a USB disk, and load a new version of the
> > OS that has dhcpd and tftpd) could probably do it, but it would be
> > nice to have an integrated solution.
>
>Putting dhcpd, xinetd, tftp, pxelinux, &etc on the head node?  What precludes
>this "software only" solution?
Essentially, the mini-server IS the head node.  It doesn't have to do
very much... get the worker bees up and running, and, I suppose,
potentially fire off the jobs on the workers, although that might
just be done in the startup script for the node.

While this isn't the "Beowulf of Furbys" it's pretty darn close..

>--
>David N. Lombard, Intel, Irvine, CA
>I do not speak for Intel Corporation; all comments are strictly my own.

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Radio Frequency Subsystems Group
Flight Communications Systems Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109
tel: (818)354-2075