[Beowulf] Big storage

Jeffrey B. Layton laytonjb at charter.net
Mon Aug 27 14:20:49 PDT 2007

Peter St. John wrote:
> How about using RAID 5 for a working filesystem and RAID 6 for
> checkpointing? Or is that effectively what 6+1 does?
> I'm imagining RAID 0 for scratch and virtual memory, so you want three
> disk systems:-)
> Peter

Choosing good RAID solutions depends upon what you want to
do with the particular file system. For example, what do you
mean by "working file system", "check pointing" and so on?
You also have to take into account the RAID level, the size of
the disks, and the probability of a read error. This will help
you determine what RAID level to chose.

I know this is vague, but we could continue this off-line if you
like (I don't know if anyone is interested in the details).

Jeff