[Beowulf] Opteron with ifort and Intel MKL

Tom Elken tom.elken at qlogic.com
Sat Aug 25 21:09:16 PDT 2007

> [mailto:beowulf-bounces at beowulf.org] On Behalf Of Reuti
>
> AFAIK programs compiled with ifort run best on Intel CPUs, as
> otherwise only a generic version of the code is used.
>
> But checkout the -xO switch in their 10.0 release, which will
> use SSEx commands also on Opterons.

>From what I remember, MKL works only on Intel processors.  They may have
changed that, but their advertising only mentions Intel CPUs.  ACML,
GotoBLAS, and ATLAS are the free scientific library alternatives for
Opteron processors.  We have used ACML with good success on Amber 9.

You are correct that on Opteron you can't use the highest ifort
optimization levels like -fast and -x[PST].  They will produce an
executable which won't run on Opteron.  The -xO switch does look
promising.

-Tom