[Beowulf] Big storage

Jeffrey B. Layton laytonjb at charter.net
Fri Aug 24 14:17:11 PDT 2007

Bruce Allen wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> OK, I see the point.  You are not worried about multiple unreadable
> sectors making it impossible to reconstruct lost data.  You are
> worried about 'whole disk' failure.

Well, no actually. I'm worried about unrecoverable reads on the
remaining disks during reconstruction. :) Is that what you are referring
to?

> I definitely agree that this is a possible problem.  In fact we
> operate all of our UWM data archives (about 300 TB) as RAID-6 to
> reduce the probability of this.  The idea of a second disk failing in
> a RAID-5 array during rebuild does not make for a good night's sleep!

Did you see Garth's comments? Even using a number of 500TB drives
greatly increases the probability of a URE during reconstruction. RAID-6
helps you sleep, but not as much as you think :) Scares the cr** out of me.
I'm looking to build a home server and I think I'm going to do RAID-61
to give myself some extra protection. I just have to figure out how to power
all of them and find a case where they can fit and a motherboard with enough
SATA connectors :)

Enjoy!

Jeff