[Beowulf] Big storage

Jeffrey B. Layton laytonjb at charter.net
Thu Aug 23 16:30:21 PDT 2007

This isn't really directed at Jeff, but it seemed like a good segway
for a comment. Everyone - please read some recent article by
Garth Gibson about large capacity disks and large number of
disks in a RAID group. Just to cut to the chase, given the
Unrecoverable Read Error (URE) rate and large disks, during
a rebuild you are almost guaranteed to hit a URE. When that
happens, the rebuild stops and you have to restore everything
from a backup. RAID-6 can help, but given enough disks and
large enough disks, the same thing can happen (plus RAID-6
rebuilds take longer since there are more computations involved).

Jeff

P.S. I guess I should disclose that my day job is at Panasas. But
regardless, I would recommend reading some of Garth's comments.
Maybe I can also get one of his presentations to pass around.

P.P.S. If you don't know Garth, he's one of the fathers of RAID.